They say video is King. After Google, YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world. At Globaltec, we don't really find that surprising. After all, we live in a world where attention spans keep getting shorter. According to a 2015 study from Microsoft, the average consumer's attention span has dropped to eight seconds - one second less than that of a goldfish.
We also live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with information. So, what happens naturally is that we start to become very selective about the content we’re exposed to, and we filter out a lot of it relatively quickly. We’re also constantly running after time, so videos can be a quick way to learn about a subject (instead of reading an article or a white paper). And some of us spend a lot of time commuting to and from work, so videos can be engaging while we’re trying to pass time.
Videos are a great way to engage consumers, and they are no longer reserved only for commercials. In fact, we have for you in this article ten other ways to use videos in order to raise awareness about your company, and to engage meaningfully with your customers and potential prospects.
Couple that with the fact that making videos is no longer reserved to professionals. Most cell phones have a polished enough camera that can record good video and sound, and there are numerous online services and free software that make it easy to edit, upload and share video content.
“ You’re 53% more likely to show up first in Google if you have a video embedded on your website.”
Let’s start by exploring 5 reasons why you should consider video to promote your business:
Rank higher in searches – Making sure your website is found by people looking for the products and services you offer is crucial in this day and age. If you read our article titled Why do I need to keep my website up to date, we touch on the fact that you should update your site often with fresh content. Search engines absolutely love fresh content and the more you update your site, the more Google will feel it’s relevant and raise your ranking. If you didn’t know, Google now owns YouTube, so that means there has been a significant increase in how much videos can affect your search rankings.
Offer your customers the medium they want – Videos can not only be more entertaining for your customers than reading a blog or a white paper, but did you know that they can also help you build trust? Some consumers are skeptical of what they see on the Internet, fearing fraud and cheating, but when they see live demonstrations with real products, it creates a sense of reality for them. In fact, in a study from the e-tailing group, 57% of consumers say that videos gave them more confidence to purchase online. And According to a report from HubSpot Research, more than 50% of consumers want to see videos from brands... more than any other type of content.
Show up in more social feeds – It’s not only Google that loves video. Social networks do as well. Facebook allows you to do live videos, Instagram has put in place 60-second videos and Instagram stories and Twitter has Periscope. This said, in a social media environment, the type of video that works best is the ones that tugs at the heartstrings. Videos that showcase emotions, such as holiday cheers, a heartfelt thank you to your customers, or videos about your company culture will work best in this environment. Check out our article titled Top 10 ways Social media can be profitable for any business for more tips on how to best use social media for your business.
Tell a strong story – They say an image is worth a thousand words. According to Forrester Research, a minute of video is worth 1.8 million words. Suffice it to say that video is exponentially more powerful than the written word. The goal of video in business is not necessarily to sell, but to get to the next meeting through a combination of information and entertainment. Check out this awesome kickstarter video for some inspiration:
Create great content in a short amount of time – nowadays, content quality matters a lot more than the production quality of a video, which is why it’s relatively easy for anyone to make videos without professional equipment. For example, say you’re a coffee distributor and you want to showcase a new machine you think your customers will love. Why not create a short video of your colleague taking the new machine out of the box, plugging it in and showing consumers how to make a cappuccino? It’s engaging, it can be funny if you have a good sense of humour and it’s a great product demonstration that can help build trust and it doesn’t take a lot of time to create.
Here's a nifty video from our friends at Hubspot that can show you how to make a video with an iPhone.
10 different ways to use video for your business
Now that you understand why videos are important and that you don't need professionals to shoot them, here are 10 fun ways to use video for your business.
1. Introduce yourself, your company, your colleagues – At Globaltec, we honestly believe that, no matter the product or service, people buy from people. There is no better way to introduce yourself virtually than with with a video. People will get a real feel for you and your colleagues.
2. Explain what you do – Again, because of the power of video, it can be very easy for your customers to really understand what type of services or products you can offer if you show them.
3. Film some customers for testimonial – This doesn’t have to be very long, but it can go a very long way to build trust with prospects.
4. Show off your culture – Let’s say you host a breakfast for your employees every Friday morning, as a way to thank them for their engagement. Why not make a short video of it next time, asking a few employees to share why they work with you? Keep it light, make it fun and remember to be genuine.
5. Share your creation story – Simon Sinek rose to fame with a TED talk that was viewed over 40 million times where he explained the power of WHY. What’s your purpose? Why does your organization exist? There can be no better way to really engage with your customers and prospect than by explaining the WHY you founded your company.
6. Use video instead of a blog – In other words, vlog! A video blog – commonly referred to as a vlog – is a form of blog for which the medium is a video. Vlogs are usually easy to digest, and it can help give personality to your brand.
7. Launch new products – Just like our coffee machine example earlier, any new product can be introduced with a video. You can even use Powerpoint to make videos that have music in the background or a voice over. Video demonstrations are also great to get consumers interested in finding out more, either by visiting your website or – even better – calling you directly.
8. Use it to send a Holiday video card – Print is not exactly dead, but a video holiday greeting for your customer can go a long way and is easy and cheap to record. You can even send recorded birthday greetings for some of your top customers if you want to add a personalized touch.
9. Webinars – If you have a product or service that you can explain, webinars are a great way to do it and to build engagement. A webinar is similar to a web conference, except that instead of attending the event live, you can watch it anytime you want on your desktop, mobile or tablet.
10. Event videos – Are you hosting a special event for your business or if you’re sponsoring an event, why not record part of it to share with your customers or prospects? This can help showcase your values and personality and build great engagement!
We hope this article was helpful for you to figure out why and how you should be doing videos for your business. When used properly, videos can really be a key driver for your business. For more advice on how to use videos and take them to the next level, book a free consultation with us today!
Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the marketing tasks you have to do, or should be doing?
Could you increase sales if you had a dedicated team specialized in your market to provide you with effective online lead generation solutions?
Why not offload the marketing aspect of your business so you can concentrate on your business?
Globaltec is a managed service agency that specialises in lead generation for small and medium organisations. While some agencies go after the big guys, we choose to work with the heart and soul of our economic drive train, you.
Treat your business with marketing strategies that drive results. Contact us today for a free consultation.